Mental Capacity Act & DOLS
Half day face to face classroom tuition. Venue near you or your work place
This half day course on Mental Capacity Act & DOLS is essential for anyone who works with vulnerable clients who lack capacity to make formal or informal choices in relation to the care they receive from others. For example, nurses, care workers and those who work with adults who lack capacity to make choices. The course will endeavour to provide awareness within the main key Mental Capacity Act & DOLS to enable candidates to acquire a greater understanding of deprivation of liberty act issues, clinicians to have knowledge and skills to enable them to work effectively within delivering this very important piece of legislation, whilst ensuring safe practice and the effects of legislation are implemented according to client needs.
This half day course is undertaken within our purpose built training classroom, which accommodates the necessary equipment to provide candidates with full hands on training. The course number will be a maximum of 15 to allow students adequate time to have opportunities to ask questions and learn and understand the Mental Capacity Act & DOLS. Upon completion of the course candidates should have knowledge and skills to seek appropriate resources and to contact their local DOLS team and local resources when identifying potential risks. The course contents are suitable for people who require a greater understanding of this important piece of legislation and the complications associated with the Act.
The course contents are suitable for people who need to gain a specific understanding of the Mental Capacity Act & DOLS, to enable the clinician to practice safely within their working environment and ensure risks are raised and reported accordingly.
The course content is:
- Current legislation
- Policy and procedures
- The assessment procedure
- What is meant by ‘Best Interests?’
- What protection is available for decision makers?
- Understand the limits of restraint issues
- Understand the roles of various people involved
- List the functions of the Mental Capacity Act
- Describe the groups which will be affected by the legislation
- Explain what is meant by the functional test
- Explain the role of Lasting Power of Attorneys
- Describe the function of the Court of Protection
- Explain the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards
- Train others in Mental Capacity Act and DOLS requirements within their healthcare working environment
- Course delivered by a register nurse
Certificates of attendance will be issued within 14 days of the course date. Candidates must demonstrate full competencies within moving and handling.
Feel free to browse our range of training courses.
If you can't find what you're looking for or would like some more information about our courses, call on 0778 349 1299 and we would be happy to answer any queries which you may have.